security Testing of a Sportsbook
Security Testing by an Independent Third party: A must for your Sportsbook
Sportsbook applications are becoming increasingly complex with huge amount of sensitive data including personal and financial information, being transmitted and stored.
There are two primary methods for discovering vulnerabilities in your Sportsbook. (a) Dynamic Analysis and (b) Static Analysis using a combination of automated scanning tools and manual analysis.
- 70% of organizations have admitted that cyber security risks are immense
- 54% of companies globally have faced cyber-attacks one way or other
- 77% of the attacks happened due to poor security measures on their website
- Common Myths:
- We have firewalls in place, which can protect our assets from threats
- We have SSL/TLS implemented which takes care of Security
Security testing of cloud-based applications
Similar to web applications hosted on premises, Cloud-based applications need to be pen tested as well. However, pen testing applications that run in public clouds comes with some additional complexities like legal and technical obstacles.
The major issue in public cloud is Data Security. The main challenge in this category is the security of the confidential data. Security testing becomes a crucial part of cloud application testing, to assure that critical data is stored and transmitted safely. It is a great source for identifying and rectifying vulnerabilities or flaws in applications, so that they are less prone to compromise in an event of cyber-attack.
Security testing of WebSocket:
HTML5 has introduced many new powerful APIs and WebSocket is one of the most interesting component. WebSocket is a direct TCP connection between the client browser and the webserver.
- Is not different to web services or other technologies regarding security issues. Most of the security controls that are available in today’s web is also available for WebSocket.
- Do not have any authentication control on handshakes during session establishment, hence clients cannot authenticate themselves to the server.
- Have neither any security measures regarding authorization. This issue is mostly application-based, where unauthorized users can have access to data.
- Needs protection against input validation attacks, which can either attack the client or the server.
Source Code Reviews
Security code review is the process of auditing the source code for an application to verify that the proper security controls are present, that they work as intended, and that they have been invoked in all the right places. Code review is a way of ensuring that the application has been developed to be “self-defending”
Full Stack code reviews requires an end to end code coverage from front-end and back-end code. Logs usually contains lots of information about application work flow and trace exceptions that could be exploited. All the files executable (Java, JSP and PHP) or non-executable (SQL and CSS) needed to be checked for bugs or backdoors.
Common Attacks on Sportsbook
At ACUDAY, we perform the following security tests
Vulnerability Assessment and Penetration Testing (Dynamic Analysis): Scan the application using commercial as well as open source tools to identify vulnerabilities in your Sportsbook and exploit the vulnerabilities to identify the Risk.
Source Code Assessments (Static Analysis): Scan and Analyze the code for all the vulnerabilities using commercial as well as open source tools followed by a manual validation to eliminate False Positives.
Our Approach to Security Testing
In a nutshell, ACUDAY conducts scans to assess the external security of the Sportsbook as well as several breach-related business metrics and provide a comprehensive picture of the Sportsbook resiliency with a score. If a site’s RISK score is HIGH, it suggests that several standard security measures are probably not in place. A LOW score means the developers have given thought to web security and are taking steps to keep the Sportsbook data as private as reasonably possible.